Prawns are my favourite and they tastes the best when cooked in spicy gravy which goes really well with rice. This recipe of Prawn curry requires very less oil and few easily available ingredients. It is easy to make and takes only few minutes. When clubbed with rice the meal feels very light on stomach. This curry is excellent for the North Indian palate and people who doesn’t like coconut or tamarind much.
- 500 grams Prawns preferably tails on
- 2-3 finely chopped medium Onions
- 2 tomatoes (puree)
- 6-8 garlic cloves paste or chopped
- One spoon ginger paste
- 2 Green Chillies (optional)
- 100 ml (two serving spoons) Mustard oil
- 2 figs of Curry Leaves
- 2-3 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala (i use MDH )
- Red Chilli powder 1/2 spoon and coriander powder 1 spoon
- Water 2 cups (you can reduce or increase as per your gravy requirement)
- 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the cleaned and deveined prawns with a spoon of ginger-garlic paste, salt, turmeric powder and lemon juice and keep aside for at least half an hour. You can skip turmeric powder if you like.
- Heat mustard oil in a wok till it turns light yellow in color. Add mustard seeds, dried red chillies and curry leaves to the oil
- Without burning the red chillies, immediately add finely chopped onions and saute till they turn golden brown
- Now add chopped garlic to the onions and roast for another 3-4 minutes
- After roasting add coriander powder, red chilli powder and garam masala. Cook for another 2 mins
- Add pureed tomatoes and green chillies to the wok. I used blender to puree tomatoes and chillies together
- Keep stirring in small intervals till the mix or masala starts leaving oil. It will take approx 5-7 minutes
- Now add marinated prawns to the wok and mix well
- Add water for the curry, bring it to a boil. After it starts boiling lower the flame and cover the wok
- Let it cook for 5-10 mins before turning off the flame. Do not overcook the prawns. They only need 7-10 minutes to cook else they will become chewy like rubber.
- In the end add half a lemon juice to the curry. The lemon juice will enhance the flavours.
Serve the Prawn curry hot with steamed rice or Malabar Paratha. I am sure you and your family will certainly like it. Don’t forget to message me if you have any questions.